Steinhauer Family Eye Clinic has a long and distinguished history of service to the Madison community.
The practice was formed in 1902 by Drs. Dietrich and Denu, with Dr. Dietrich holding the first Wisconsin optometric license. For the next 82 years the practice was located on the capitol square.
In 1950, Dr. Richard Roman succeeded Dr. Dietrich. In 1954, Dr. Jack Fitzgerald joined the practice after the passing of Dr. Denu. Dr. Thomas R. Steinhauer joined the practice in 1980 upon the retirement of Dr. Roman.
The practice was then relocated to the Downtown Medical Center on West Mifflin Street in 1984 and remained at that location for the next 15 years. Dr. Fitzgerald retired from the practice in 1991.
In 1999 the practice was relocated to 2725 Marshall Court, where Dr. Andrew Steinhauer joined his father in 2013.
Steinhauer Family Eye Clinic moved to its current location of 2639 University Avenue in June 2014.
In May 2016, Dr. Brian Steinhauer joined his father and brother.